We are done with the first quarter of 2020 and things are just getting harder each single day not until the coronavirus in the world is contained. We are not just suffering fear because of the health issues this pandemic is creating but we are all so down with the economic bear season.
It has been a hard few months for the U.S. stock market but March has been the most volatile month of the first quarter. It closes the market on Tuesday harshly.
Heres’s a list of the first quarter stock market drop by percentage.
- The Dow closed down 13.74% in March; score its worst month since October of 2008.
- The Dow closed down -23.2% for the 1st quarter, it is even worse than the fourth quarter of 1987. It was the Dow’s worst first quarter to date.
- The Dow is 25.88% below its daytime all-time high of 29,568.57 from Feb 12.
- The S&P closed down 1.6%, closing its trading price up or down more than 1% every single day in March.
- The S&P closed down 12.51% over the month of March, its worst month since October 2008.
- The index closed down 20% for the first quarter, its worst quarter since the fourth quarter of 2008, when the S&P 500 lost 22.56%. It was the S&P 500′s worst first quarter ever.
- Sectors: 10 out of 11 sectors were negative today led by Utilities down 4.02%.
- Nine out of 11 sectors closed down at least 20% below their 52-week high closes with the exception of Health Care and Staples.
- The U.S. 10-year note yielding 0.6679% vs. Friday’s close of 0.744%
As for the commodities, Oil prices are also down by more than half its price since the pandemic took over. West Texas Intermediate (WTI) Crude rose a bit closing down 1.9% or $20.48 per barrel, while Brent Crude falls short by 1% or $26.35 per barrel. Gold on the other hand closed its market price positively from the last fall; it settled 1.57% at $1,596.6 per ounce.
It may look negative for now, but take heed we still have three more quarters to fight economic losses and this pandemic.
For the most updated news in the stock market please do browse our site: Reliance Trading Co. Limited https://www.reliancetradingco.com/